Each year, the freshman class goes on retreat during the first quarter, joined by faculty, to participate in activities designed to strengthen the bonds of community as they head into high school together.
This page will be updated each year as plans for location, and other details, are confirmed. Check back for updates!
Below is the most current info on the 2018-2019 Freshman Retreat:
This August, the class of 2022 will have the opportunity to attend a two-night freshman retreat in at Tonto Rim Camp in Payson, Arizona. Students will be bused from school on Wednesday, August 15th and return to school on Friday, August 17th. The cost of the retreat is $130 per student.
We want every student to be able to attend this special experience, thus those families that find themselves in need of financial assistance, scholarships will be made available. Applications for financial assistance are available on request. Also, many families have had great success using a site called GoFundMe.com, to help supplement financing. To contribute support to our students who need scholarships, please click here.
The retreat will be run by faculty, parent volunteers and Tonto Rim personnel. All meals will be provided by the camp. Students will experience team building, leadership, outdoor classroom time, a bonfire, hiking and time to get to know their classmates.
Commemorative t-shirts are being made for the class of 2022. Participants who order by August 1 will receive a 25% discount on the commemorative t-shirt – click here to order!
Prior to the trip, students will also need to complete the permission slip for our retreat venue (link forthcoming and will be sent to registrants when available).
A Health Action Plan is linked here. Please, if your child is taking prescription medication or even if you want your child to have Advil or Tylenol or any other medications, fill this form out. Even if you filled out one for the front desk, we need this one for the trip. We will not administer any medications at all, even over-the-counter ones without this form. When we board the bus, we will have two teachers there receiving the assigned medications that you bring. They will be responsible for these. Make sure the medications are in a clear zip-lock bag with name of child on the front and with instructions written out clearly. We will also have their Health Action Plan printed out to put into the bag.
If your child needs an Epi Pen, you must send it along. We will not have these available otherwise. Finally, list any allergies your child may have, especially food allergies. We will adjust the menu for these needs.
In summary, here is the list of items to be handed in at the Veritas Prep front desk:
a) Permission slip
b) Health Action Plan (including food allergies)
For questions regarding the retreat, please contact Ms. Kaitlin Monroe.
In addition to any code provided by Tonto Rim, students are expected to adhere to the following:
- Dress Code – Students must follow the dress code as outlined in the Athletic Practice and Outdoor Field Day section of the Family Handbook (http://veritasprep.greatheartsacademies.org/academy-life/uniforms/vpa-uniform-dress-code/). Some of these guidelines are as follows:
- All shirts worn for athletic practices and field day should be modest, loose fitting, in good repair (no holes, torn sleeves, etc), should be worn either tucked in or well over the waist of the pants/shorts.
- No midriffs may be shown.
- T-shirts are preferred—no tank tops, camisoles, or sports bras may be worn as outer-garments. Sleeveless shirts may be worn if modest.
- Pants/shorts should be modest, in good repair (no holes, torn sleeves, etc.)
- Shorts must be worn at the waist and may not be shorter than mid-thigh or longer than just below the knee. No boxers or undergarments may be visible. No oversized, baggy, or excessively tight pants.
- Attire should be free of inappropriate messages; sports team logos (e.g., Diamondbacks, Notre Dame), and apparel brand names (e.g., Adidas, Abercrombie) are acceptable, provided they do not make inappropriate allusions. These guidelines also apply to sweatshirts and jackets that students may wear.
- Footwear should be athletic in nature: no sandals, open-toed, or platform shoes.
- No Cell Phones – Students should not bring cell phones, including on the bus. Chaperones and teachers will carry theirs in case of emergency. Contact numbers will be provided to families prior to the retreat.
- Medications – Any student who requires medication should bring them in a bag labeled with the student’s name and instructions. Chaperones will keep these and distribute as needed.
- Journal & Pen – Students are required to bring a journal (spiral-bound or composition book) and a pen to record thoughts throughout the retreat.
- Other Items to Bring –a sack lunch for the bus ride to camp, snacks (bagged and labeled – chaperones will keep for scheduled evening snack breaks), cash for a meal on the way back home, a flashlight and blanket for stargazing. If any student plays the guitar or flute or other portable musical instrument, by all means, bring it!
Camp site information:
Tonto Rim Christian Camp
353 N. Tonto Rim Loop
Payson, AZ 85541
Phone: (928) 478-4630
Camp Customer Service Rep: Lori Walsh